Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Jellyfish

The jellyfish was just... there. Floating... suspended off Boston shores. What was it doing... contemplating? Was it thinking about the fear-mongering done by politicians and leaders to the people? Was it worrying about its next meal? Was it spending too much time in the disappointment of a previous expectation? Was the jellyfish doing any of this? I've heard that jellyfish are not even considered alive by biology standards. So then there was a good chance it wasn't even contemplating at all. Maybe I need to update my knowledge.

The jellyfish is shut out from our troublesome world. No stress over bills or school. No worries over the health and safety of loved ones. It is just suspended in the bay, in the water. Secure in its own little world; safe from our world within its own pocket dimension. Or perhaps not. A tide could bring the poor jelly into our troublesome world, dragging it up onto a beach. Ripped from its pocket dimension, the jellyfish no longer functions as it is bombarded with new things. Hot sunlight, gravity, daring boys poking at it with a stick, etc.. Maybe that is how we would act if we were ripped from our sane, understandable world into another dimension. A dimension with things we have never seen before. New forces, physics, colors, beings; everything would be alien. Would we then consider this "new" dimension evil because it differs so much from what we have previously known? Or would we go mad? Would we just shut down like a beached jellyfish, wishing we could go back to our world--our bubble from the unknown.

2 comments:

  1. This was very deep. I like how you ask questions in it, I hope they were rhetorical though, because I have no idea if there are other dimensions, if we would react like a jellyfish, wanting to go back to our bubble. But I know that's probably how I would react. Very nice, I like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love jellyfish. I liked this a lot because these are the kind of things I like to think about. I like the comparison of simpler and more complex levels of existence. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete